The Wall Paintings

 

An impressive mural representing the Day of Judgement, otherwise known as the Doom, painted abover the chancel arch shortly after the year 1500, is one of the largest surviving versions of its kind in Britain. It once formed part of a series of frescoes that lined the walls of the Chapel. John Shakespeare, father of the dramatist, was obliged to supervise the defacements of these decorations while serving as a Chamberlain to the Corporation of Stratford in 1563, the year before William Shakespeare was born.

 

A survey and visualisation, resulting in the picture to the left of how the chapel would have looked was undertaken by York University. The full report can be viewed here.

Work has now begun to conserve the visible wall paintings.

© 2015 The Friends of the Guild Chapel